Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bucky Katt's Big Book of Fun

I got this book from my brother for my birthday, and read it cover-to-cover. It had me laughing out loud often and for a variety of reasons. The characters are loosely based on a cat, a dog, and their "pet parent," Rob Wilco, who indulges his cat and his dog, takes them around to places, and generally treats them pretty well for all the messes they make. Darby Conley draws the cartoon strip "get fuzzy," and this book is a collection of his strips, I think. The cat is appropriately menacing and self-absorbed, the dog is lovably dopy like dogs are, and Rob Wilco is the straight man. It's great comedy, with subtle wit and not-so-subtle interspecies jokes. I like the relationships between the characters and the way they are just slightly exaggerated versions of recognizable cat, dog, and human characteristics. Bravo, Mr. Conley!

1 comment:

chris said...

Glad you liked it, bro.